Comparisons between the inner world and the outer world have been frequently drawn by philosophers, nature writers, and visual artists. For example, "seeing the universe in a grain of sand" is a w ...View Article
You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
Did you know as many as 9 out of 10 Americans suffer from headaches? 95% percent of headaches are primary headaches, such as tension, migraine, or cervicogenic. These types of headaches are not caused by disease. The headache itself is the primary concern. The other 5% of headaches are signs and symptoms of a more serious problem. Your chiropractor is trained to decipher the difference between these 2 groups.
The greatest majority of primary headaches are called tension headaches, which mainly arise from the muscles and joints around the upper back and neck. A Tension headache typically feels like a tight band around the head causing a steady ache. The common causes of tension headaches are due to prolonged bad posture, improper ergonomics and a sedentary lifestyle. Today most Americans engage in a more sedentary lifestyle with many hours spent at the computer or on the cell phone in one fixed position or posture. The side effects of holding these fixed positions are muscle tightness and joint irritation of the neck and upper back, which in turn, manifest into the ache you are feeling in your head.
A cervicogenic headache is often precipitated by neck movement and/or sustained awkward head positioning (such as painting the ceiling, or washing the floor) and can reproduced with pressure over the upper neck and base of the skull. It is often accompanied by restricted range of motion in the neck, along with neck, shoulder, or arm pain of a rather indistinct nature.
The migraine headache is a little bit more perplexing. Changes in the function of the blood or nervous systems in specific areas of the brain and changes in chemical balances within the body have been related to the cause of migraine attacks. Chiropractic treatment has been shown in numerous studies, to help reduce the severity and frequency of migraine attacks in many cases, especially cases of common migraines. However, a combination of massage therapy, acupuncture, relaxation techniques and nutritional support would ensure a better recovery from pain.
At this point you may be wondering how a chiropractor can help with your headache. As previously discussed in this article, most headaches are caused by posture, muscle tightness and joint fixations. All of which are easily treated by a chiropractor using different tools and modalities.
A chiropractor’s main goal is to figure out the root of the problem. Once a comprehensive history and examination have been performed, a specific treatment plan is then prescribed by the doctor in order to help take you out of pain. The aim is to restore function and proper posture so that you can live the pain free life you deserve, free of headaches.
Author: Dr. Jamie Mahtaban DC